December is National Identity Theft Awareness Month
Did you know that December is National Identity Theft Prevention and Awareness Month? The hustle and bustle of the holidays often means we’re all a bit more preoccupied both on and off the clock — creating an opportunity for fraudsters to take advantage of that distraction. December is often a time when data breaches increase and sensitive data gets leaked, making this month a great time to review tips and resources to help build strong habits that protect your personal information and safeguard yourself, your family, and your organization from identity fraud year-round.
Identity theft is not only the fastest growing crime of the 21st Century, but it is also ranked as one of American’s most-feared crimes. Data breaches remain prevalent, meaning cybercriminals continue to target each and every organization that collects our Personally Identifiable Information (PII) for financial gain — which often means selling your PII, or that of your company, on the Dark Web to other cybercriminals who use it to commit identity crimes. And individuals of all ages are paying the price, with victims paying an average of $1,343 per identity theft incident. It only takes a fraudster a few pieces of your data to commit credit card fraud, synthetic identity theft, tax return fraud and more!
Consider the following tips and resources to create safe online habits during National Identity Theft Prevention and Awareness Month and beyond:
Tips to Protect Your Personal Information
Review these resources for actionable steps to increase the security of your sensitive documents and information.
- Social Media Identity Theft Prevention Tips
- Protect Your Identity During Your Online Holiday Shopping
- Online Privacy Tips for Parents
- 15 Mobile Device Security Tips
- Phishing Scams: How to Protect Yourself
- How to Safeguard Your Passwords Infographic
- Tips for Breach Victims 2019 Infographic
- Holiday Shopping Tips 2019
Resources to Safeguard Your Employees & Your Business
Discover why Identity Theft Protection has become a valuable employee benefit through the resources below. You’ll also find insights into minimizing the risk and potential impact of a data breach on your organization. Learn more about IdentityForce’s parent company, Sontiq, and our data breach solutions including RapidResponse and Breach Readiness, here.
- Protect Your Business from the Next Data Breach
- Consumer Research: Influencing & Fueling Innovation in ID Theft Protection & Restoration
- Explaining Voluntary Benefits & Off-Cycle Enrollment
- 2019 Identity Protection Market Research Report
- Organizational Healthcare Tab to Keep Rising
- The Three Pillars of Identity Theft Protection
Educational Webinars to Enhance Your Identity Protection Knowledge
Our 15-minute webinars are packed with valuable information, giving you rapid delivery of critical insights while sharing the most compelling information you need to know right now.
- Data Breach Readiness: Staying Ahead of Cyberthieves
- Intelligent Identity Security: Decreasing Vulnerabilities in Today’s Volatile Digital World
- 2nd Annual Research Findings & Insights from Employee Benefit Brokers
- Protecting Your Small Business & Your Employees from ID Theft and Cyber Threats
- 3 Ways Employers Can Add Value Through Supplemental Benefits
Keep up with the latest data breaches in the news with our running list of 2019 Data Breaches.
Partner with us
To learn more about Sontiq’s mobile cybersecurity and identity theft protection capabilities built specifically for small businesses, or to compare packages and buy now, visit Sontiq’s Small Business Suite, or contact us at email@example.com.